Wednesday 16 January 2013

Lean Turkey Burgers


Ingredients:
1kg Lean Ground Turkey -2 packages
(Costco sells 4 pack totaling 2 kgs) 
The other half (2 packages) I just cook off for lettuce wraps (fajita or taco style)
4 egg whites
30gr of nutra-cleanse or oatmeal or ground flax
3 sticks of celery
1 medium zucchini
4 medium mushrooms
1 small onion
4 garlic cloves
1 cup of chopped parsley

Note: Recently I got a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid so I have been buying whole organic turkey breasts and grinding the meat myself. I find it has way less fillers and salt

In a bowl place turkey, egg whites, nutra-cleanse or oatmeal (or flax) and finely chopped parsley do not mix (yet).
melt a little coconut oil in frying pan and place finely chopped celery, zucchini, mushrooms, onion and garlic and sear until moisture evaporates and the veggies slightly brown (caramelize) and cool down.
Add cooled veggies to the prepped raw turkey and season with your favourite low sodium spices. I like oregano lots of pepper and paprika or cayenne pepper for extra spice.
Use a ½ cup measuring cup to portion the burgers and shape them cook in frying pan until browned on each side. Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes. Do not bake too long as they may dry out.

In the summer I just BBQ them. I love the smoky flavour.

Nutritional Info
(per burger) meatballs would be ¼ of each (so 4 meatballs)
150 calories
58mg sodium
Fat 7.0 gr
Saturated 1gr
Carbs 5.4gr
Fiber if nutra-cleanse is used is 4.0 gr
Sugar (from onion and zucchini) less than 1gr

*As a side note I use the same mixture and omit oregano and shape into small meatballs and coat with hot sauce once baked or cooked in tiny bit of coconut oil and put on a tooth pick for a wing substitute appetizer usually football Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment